Accessibility Links

Poll: Is digitalisation essential for the future of Oil & Gas?

13/05/2019
Like postLikeLabel * DEFAULT * en-GB

Follow

Proponents of digitalisation in oil and gas say that new technologies such as sensor networks, field automation, artificial intelligence, robotics, blockchain and virtual reality will revolutionise the way the industry operates. But is it really essential?

We’re asking our community of engineering professionals. Let us know what you think by voting in the poll, or leaving a comment at the bottom of the page. 

40% of companies said they risk being left behind without investment into digitalisation. But what about the remaining 60%?

In a 2017 survey, nearly 40% of oil and gas companies said they’re worried about the risk of being left behind if they don’t continue to invest in digital transformation programs. Approximately 70% of companies planned to invest more in new digital areas over the following three to five years. 

By utilising new technologies to harness the power of data, companies hope to increase efficiency and take advantage of long-term cost savings. But doing so involves investing heavily in new technologies and disrupting the current workforce to develop new skillsets, either through training or targeted recruitment. 

Many companies are yet to successfully deploy these new approaches, with many choosing to focus their efforts on production. But if the predictions are correct than 2019 could be a turning point for the industry. 

Have your say

Is digitalisation essential for Oil & Gas companies? Or are companies better off investing that money in more skilled workers? Have your say by voting in our poll at the top of the page, or leaving a comment below. 

The results will be published along with the best comments on Monday 20th May, and will be featured in next week’s EngineeringPro newsletter.

Add new comment
*
*
*
By commenting on this blog you're agreeing to our terms of use

Comments left should relate to the subject of the above blog. Unfortunately job applications cannot be accepted here.

For job enquiries and applications please use our job search and for technical or account queries please contact us.
Poll: Is digitalisation essential for the future of Oil & Gas? - Time to read 2 min
Share this article
Like postLikeLabel * DEFAULT * en-GB

Follow

Back to Top

By clicking "Save" you consent to
receiving matching jobs based on the
job/page you are viewing by email from
Fircroft, as detailed in our privacy policy
Fircroft would like to keep you up to date with our current vacancies and latest company updates via email. Occasionally Fircrofts marketing may contain 3rd party or affiliate information, however we will not share your personal data with any 3rd parties without your consent. From time to time, we might contact you to get your views on the service you have received. To help you get the best out of Fircroft, we may personalise them based on your location and how you use fircroft.com
Fircroft would like to keep you up to date with the latest company updates and vacancies via SMS / Text messages
Your consent options above means that Fircroft cannot contact you about any new or alternative career vacancies. If you want Fircroft to only contact you about the role(s) you have applied for please continue, however if you would like to be considered for other positions please allow us to contact you by changing one or more of the above consent.