makes the freedom of flight possible by designing, manufacturing and supporting the world's best aircraft. Its people around the globe are united by a passion for aviation, as well as their desire to create better, more efficient ways for airlines and passengers to fly.
MUST BE SECURITY CLEARED THAT IS TRANSFERABLE
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible to the Head of Equipment & Products for executing allocated Software Work Packages within agreed cost, time and quality constraints.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for demonstrating that the developed product meets all specified legislative and customer requirements, by:
* All software is designed, developed, integrated and tested in accordance with Client's standards; all supporting documents are produced in accordance with Client's standards.
* Appropriate processes and methodologies are used to design and deliver allocated software development work packages meeting cost, time and quality targets, agreed with their development team leader.
* Technical design decisions are made within the context of known practices, established precedents and acquired "technical" expertise.
* The cost/benefits of design possibilities are understood, and that judgement calls can be made based on them.
* Software development plans can be estimated in detail, and resource requirements can be identified against plans.
* The provision of technical guidance to fellow team members in at least one major tool or technique used by Client.
* Success of both internal and external design reviews and project reviews throughout the development life cycle.
* The support of the design and development of critical components where decisions may have a significant impact on project timescales.
* Customer liaison, by representing Client on project related technical matters at Stakeholder meetings.
* Design and Development by taking a technical role as a Prime on a critical component where necessary.
* The primary focus of the job is Operational - delivery of project funded Work Packages.
* Analytical - To identify and isolate errors in the product or system, their likely causes and solutions.
* Ingenuity - To work on his/her own on a complete design from concept to delivery, possibly across multiple projects.
* There is a subsidiary Tactical element to contribute to Software Engineering process improvement.
* Needs to understand and devise intricate solutions to complex problems after lengthy and involved analysis
* Needs sustained technical understanding of all issues required to produce software for complex equipment
Management Challenge (if placed in team lead role):
* Needs to control the work of the software team to deliver the allocated project Work Packages
* Needs to use political and influencing skills to reach agreement on software matters with customers, project management, and Client's engineering and support teams
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
* Implementation of embedded software in C or C++; or Windows application software in C#
* Object oriented analysis, design and development fully documented using UML
* Must have successful track record of working in a lead role, either as a prime software engineer or as a software team leader
* Must be highly self-motivated, articulate, with good verbal and written communications skills
* Must have a good understanding of requirements capture, and of work package definition and estimation
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
* Experience of SQL database interfacing/design
* Experience of Requirements Management (e.g. using DOORS).
* Experience of software implementation of data or voice network protocols (TCP/IP, SNMP, VOIP)
* Experience of software development for cryptographic systems, ideally using UK approved cryptographic design methodologies
* Experience of using one or more of the following tools/development environments: Visual Studio, Starteam, Eclipse, Coverity, SQL
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft's services.