Reporting to the head of mechanical engineering, the design engineer is responsible for generating accurate computer aided design drawings (2D and 3D) from information communicated from the project team and from all supporting functions. The roll is to support functions at both pre-project and project stages and to develop 2D and
3D drawings from conceptual design through to construction, installation and final commissioning. The aim being to design develop and engineer high quality models and innovative components, which include enough detail and information for fabrication and construction.
Key Duties: The design engineer contributes to the overall success of the organisation, by working effectively and adhering to departmental procedures, quality systems and project deliverables in a concise and timely manner, required by the project and organisation requirements. The following are the key duties to be undertaken by the post holder to effectively deliver the responsibilities of the role. The actual duties may vary depending on the requirements of the role.
1. Responsible to adhere to procedures governed by the organisation to manage the life cycle, distribution, visibility and traceability of project drawings and supporting documentation.
2. Occasionally attending work sites to carry out detailed surveys to aide carrying out the design role effectively and reinforcing project and task information from supporting functions.
3. Development of process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) to support the process engineering department
4. Development of site layout drawings required by the project to include all information from supporting functions, examples could be:-
- Overall site layout drawings
- Facility layout drawings
- Equipment layout drawings eg. Process layout, electrical and control layout, equipment layout, HVAC layout and distribution, pipework layouts, plant room layouts etc.
5. Innovative design and development of bespoke equipment and components..
6. Collaboration on projects, design solutions and involvement in design reviews to ensure functionality and fit for purpose.
7. Design, develop and engineer high quality models using 2D and 3D CAD tools.
8. Develop and effectively manage the component and equipment database, in order to effectively have access to common components, equipment and standardised designs from historical project developments.
9. Use of cross functional tools such as upto date equipment schedules etc. to effectively develop designs using the most upto date information
10. Take an active role in the effective and innovative development of the function and department through regular
department open forums.
11. Produce and issue designs and drawings including 'as built' that meet targets for feasibility, performance, cost,
quality, safety, legislation and timing.
12. Ensure design documentation is kept at a 'as live' status to ensure compliance at all times. eg drawing registers etc.
13. Other duties appropriate to the nature, level and grade of the post.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
- HNC or equivalent recognised qualification in appropriate discipline (consideration may be given for recognised industrial training or long term field experience in lieu of HNC)
- Significant work experience in mechanical engineering and design, in an industrial background with a thorough understanding other related disciplines.
- Hold a full, clean driving license.
- Demonstrable experience in an engineering design role
- Demonstrable experience of working with 2D and 3D CAD engineering design and manufacturing tools (e.g
AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, ProE or other)
- Demonstrable experience in evaluating and interpreting blueprints, technical drawings, schematics and computer generated reports.
- Significant experience in a contracting environment
- Demonstrable experience of working to British, European and other standards
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
- Excellent fault finding and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with supporting functions
- Ability to operate at both team and individual levels
- Ability to communicate effectively, particularly with regards to clear and concise technical and non-technical reports.
- Ability to identify problems and come up with innovative, cost effective solutions in any of the multi-functional aspects of mechanical engineering design work.
- Proficient in Microsoft windows application.
- Excellent time management skills
- Understanding of Hygienic industry standards and disciplines
- Ability to use AutoCAD efficiently, working individually or as part of a team.
- Ability to use Autodesk Inventor efficiently.
- Able to interpret and apply applicable regulations and standards
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind an passion for service development and innovation