Is a leading Automotive manufacturer with a reputation for outstanding quality the world over. With demand increasing and an upturn in production, there is a need to bring further skills into the business to deliver on current and future projects.
MAIN GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
• Responsible for the delivery of Engineering systems and components to meet the requirements of the Project Description Brochure.
• Responsible for development and delivery of specific acoustic attributes (wind noise, road noise, stone chip/water splash noise, openness, passing car noise) to target level performance, including acoustic specification of the part and systems that influence and deliver the attribute performance , problem investigation, concern resolution, test and validation plan to achieve the cost, weight, timing and quality targets for the project.
• Achieve engineering signoff for systems and components in area of responsibility.
Support and Lead Design Development
Competent, aware and using required test procedures, technologies and identifying improvements to the following for specific performance attribute and technology area of responsibility:
• Use and development of acoustic test procedures and measurement techniques & technologies
• Data acquisition and processing, archive, data management
• Data analysis and ability to write technical summary report to identify status, conclusions, concerns and recommendations
• Engineering test & validation planning, status release and sign off for systems and components
• Subjective assessment and correlation to objective status
• Design and develop acoustic parts and systems specifications
• Generate acoustic design guidelines
• Engineering change management (PDB, Aeko, ECR, Production Permits, VDS etc)
• Ability to capture design requirements and specify, for consistent attribute performance (e.g. design for manufacturing fit and function)
• Ability to write, deliver and present status suitable for relevant audience/level up to EGA, EG-Circle
• Challenge & influencing design for attribute performance
• Capture 'critical to quality feature' (e.g. checklist if things go wrong)
• Identify and maintain knowledge/experience from previous project lessons learnt
• Competitor benchmarking (incl technologies used) and attribute target setting
• Understanding of Engineering drawings, CAD etc.
Delivery of projects
Competent to proactively challenge, influence and monitor requirements in the following for specific attribute
• Plan, prioritise, manage own project-related activities throughout a complete project development
• Cross functional working with other areas of the business. for achieving project deliverables
• Design & Concept reviews for achieving project deliverables (technical targets and requirements v's weight, cost, package etc)
• Influence selection and liaison with relevant suppliers/agencies for progressing project tasks (outsourcing, material purchase, design & development etc) – can liaise and monitor outsource work
• Recommend selection and liaise with part & system suppliers/agencies to achieve attribute performance requirements or progressing project deliverables
• Understanding of financial consequences and working within financial constraints of their development role in the organisation
• Cross-functional alignment for achieving financial objectives of parts/systems incl value-engineering (proposing and leading more effective use of agreed budget to deliver X-business optimise design)
• Knowledge and understanding of value engineering (performance/cost/weight)
• Reporting of project status for area of responsibility in cross functional and project teams
• Status & Risk Management - identification and escalation
• Definition of detailed project activities and budget requirements
Ability to complete problem investigations and countermeasure development. and applying problem solving techniques & tools in the following for specific performance attribute:
• Collect data, manage data and analyse data to produce reports as appropriate and progress design guidelines
• solve and manage administrative, organisational, logistical problems at work
• Analysis and management of multiple design related issues to identify the root cause.
• Solve Highly complex Engineering and design related problems
• Solve and manage engineering and technical design problems
• Design of Experiment - ability to identify variables, define, execute and modify depending on results
Developing and maintaining Specialist knowledge
• Competent to identify, use and demonstrate for specific performance attribute
• Keeping up-to-date with technologies within area of responsibility (reading technical papers, technical conferences, VW Group technical working groups (KAA), sharing technical knowledge
• Capture learning from previous experience.
• Identify and use of tools for acoustic development attribute by relevant Simulation Engineering (e.g. - LMS, FEA, CAD, SEA, CAE, CFD, GT Power etc)
• Maintain working relationship with VW group partners - establish and maintain working relationship to develop active project, technology, platform information
• Demonstrate specific skills for technical attribute area
Ability to work within a team
• Work within and support the team members, TM, FM to deliver team objectives
• Develop X-Functional relationships (e.g. Quality, manufacturing, Design Functions etc)
• Influence on investment and unit cost for area of responsibility. And working within approved budget and identifying any variances
SPECIFIC INFORMATION FOR ROLE
• Responsible for Validation test and sign off of systems and components in area of responsibility.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Ability to communicate at various levels across the company in different forums
• Design and development skills
• Ability to influence colleagues within your area of responsibility
• Understanding of financial limits within area of responsibility
• Skills required by local area
• German language preferable.
• Ability to solve problems
Understanding of Health and Safety and capability to complete risk assessment in own area.
PRACTICAL & TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
• Significant advanced knowledge of: Design and development; Test and measurement; Engineering drawings; Software tools
• Understanding of Product Emergence Process (PEP)
• Higher Engineering Degree or equivalent or substantial work experience
• Membership of a relevant professional intuition and Chartered Engineer status preferable