Automotive Workshop Manager
Our Client is a family run bespoke vintage car restoration company with a passion for restoring iconic British high quality sporting tourers and race cars from the 1920s
An exciting opportunity to join a family run bespoke vintage car Restoration Company with a passion for restoring iconic British high quality sporting tourers and race cars from the 1920s this AWS opportunity will work alongside and report directly into the managing director.
The AWS will Control and supervise a small team of craftsmen with multifaceted traditional skills engaged in automotive work within the workshop to ensure that service and restoration vehicles are finished on schedule and on budget. This will involve organising ramps and technicians, having a good understanding of what cars are coming in and going out at any one time. The work carried out by our client incudes machine shop, through fabrication, engines, vehicle driveline, chassis and suspension, brakes, body engineering and trim.
Responsibilities and not limited to but will include:
• Ensuring the smooth running of clients our workshop, managing workflows, team members and parts.
• Receive work requests from management.
• Work up detailed action/timing plans for all projects for approval by management.
• Issue work instruction sheets to workforce and ensue WIS completion to timing plan.
• Collate work record sheets compiled by individuals and control each project to meet overall plan.
• Flag up issues requiring additional work.
• You will ensure that cars are not held up by logistics issues or parts delays by taking action to ensure parts and material availability in advance of requirements.
• You’ll ensure each vehicle's job card is completed expeditiously and filled out correctly displaying all details for service administrator to invoice
• Write up new data and process sheets as agreed with management.
• Research and obtain new and period parts and material as required.
• Supervision of material stores.
• Maintenance and safety of mechanical equipment.
• You will meet and greet customers and talk them through the journey of their Vehicle, in the Managing Directors absence whether it’s a service or a full health check. You will also assist the Director with customer correspondence and communication relating to job changes which are identified mid-stage.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
• Must understand engineering drawings and terminology.
• Qualified automotive technician/Automotive whole vehicle mechanical engineering experience.
• Project and people management experience.
• Substantial hands-on experience within the motor industry and/or relevant mechanical engineering.
• Automotive workshop organisation and management
• Effective communicator with staff and customers
• Good team leader, with the ability to teach others
• Good team worker (as member of SL Shop Management Team)
• Effective planner/organizer/time manager
• Good interpersonal skills
• Good decision maker
• Ability to set and achieve goals for themselves and their team
• Ability to resolve conflict and negotiate solutions
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
• Automotive electrical knowledge.
• Knowledge of BSF vs Metric.
• ONC or above.
• City & guilds MVT Certs.