Business Objects Developer
This vacancy has now expired.
Our Client is an O&G exploration and production company based in Aberdeen who operate in the North Sea. They have interests in a large number of fields, the majority of which they operate, on the UK Continental Shelf with numerous offshore installations and one onshore terminal.
Business Objects Developer role will have a strong background in Business Objects development, maintenance and support.
• Responsible for creating Business Objects reports, dashboards and scorecards including designing, maintaining and supporting Business Objects Universes while ensuring that the performance, capability and availability of the reporting environment is maintained.
• Working to industry and domain best-practices, deliver reporting requirements in support of business initiatives, projects and ad-hoc requests.
• Lead the design, development, maintenance and support activities related to Business Objects universes, reports and dashboards.
• Creatively consider and evaluate alternatives and develop solutions for complex business problems.
• Implement complete development cycles, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment and maintenance.
• Create and maintain technical documentation related to the Business Objects environment.
• Collaborate with business representatives both internal and external at a variety of organisational levels to gather reporting and analysis requirements.
• Interact with system vendors and outside consultants on assigned projects.
• Communicate technical information in understandable terms to colleagues in a verbal or written manner.
• Troubleshoot potentially complex report, data and system problems while providing quick diagnosis and resolution.
• Assignments may require applying analytical techniques and the interpretation of somewhat unstructured information.
• Prioritise workload appropriately and communicate timelines and project progress effectively.
• Sometimes required to work under pressure to meet short timelines or business critical requirements.
• Participate in the recommendation and design of system upgrades and enhancements, new technologies, products, and innovations.
Education Attainment & Accreditation
• Technical degree or equivalent preferable.
• Technical certifications (Oracle, SQL, Microsoft Developer), ITIL Foundations preferable.
Professional skills & Experience
• Highly proficient with Business Objects Universe, Report and Dashboard design.
• Proficiency in requirements analysis, design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment and maintenance.
• Proficiency with manipulating large data sets, interpreting data trends, report automation and process improvement.
• Proficient in presenting complex concepts and data results in a clear and effective manner through published reports and verbally.
• Familiarity with the creation of visual reports and dashboards using Web Intelligence and managing and developing universes to power these reports and dashboards is an advantage.
• Experience in writing, understanding and troubleshooting SQL code, using query tools such as Quest Toad and working with Microsoft Excel in creating macros, pivots, complex calculations, charts is an advantage.
• In addition be familiar with reporting and dashboarding concepts, have advanced IT skills in the following disciplines:
• Business Objects suite and toolsets
• Fundamentals of MS SQL
• Fundamentals of Oracle RDBMS
• Development lifecycle experience
• Source code management practices
• Crystal Reports / Business Objects reporting
• Interfacing / ETL Technologies
• Data Warehousing
• GUI development principles
• Master Data Management concepts
Interpersonal Skills & Qualities
• Good ability to work independently and unsupervised as well as good experience working in a team environment to ensure successful delivery of services to the customer.
• Attention to detail, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure.