Driveline Development Engineer
This vacancy has now expired.
Is a leading Automotive manufacturer with a reputation for outstanding quality the world over. With demand increasing and an upturn in production, there is a need to bring further skills into the business to deliver on current and future projects.
To devise, select and engineer systems and components for products which meet all company requirements and to provide expert theoretical and practical detailed knowledge of the latest development in relevant powertrain systems.
- Reports to Functional Manager who reports to the Transmission & Driveline Head of Department. Normally has no subordinates but may be required to direct technicians.
- Collaborates closely with other Engineers/ Senior Engineers
- Liaises with all levels in the business up to senior management, particularly within purchasing, logistics, finance, manufacturing and suppliers.
Developing and maintaining technical knowledge/ capability
- self education through evaluating competitor vehicles, reading technical literature and maintaining a network of contacts within the industry and educational establishments
- Finding and justifying attendance at seminars and formal training courses.
- Developing and maintaining sufficient understanding of the mechanical systems/ components
Accountable for defining and planning own work for approval by Functional Manager
- develop potential feature definition from very broad marketing requirement by providing benchmarks from current/ forthcoming competitor vehicles and supplier development
- Analysing benefits and risks of available technologies in relation to specified functionality, legal, cost, weight and timing requirements
Propose appropriate functional and technical specifications together with objective and subjective targets for Target Book
- Develop activity timing plan together with cost, quality and validation plans for assigned features, identifying all relevant activities and their customer/ suppliers (internal and external) and obtaining their buy-in
- Identify detailed parts content for assigned features and negotiate release dates
Accountable for design and validation of components/ systems which, when introduced into production, are safe, legal and otherwise fit for purpose
- Identify and analyse alternative design solutions to satisfy functional, technical, legal and styling specifications
Skills and Experience
- Previous experience working in a powertrain design environment
- Full understanding of exhaust emission & OBDII regulations and fuel specifications worldwide.
- Experience in CAD engine systems design (Catia V5)