A global industry leader in it's field of energy technology. Our client share a collective and sole mission: to help the world to manage energy better.
Regulatory change, technological advances and an increasingly green-minded world are changing the face of the Energy Metering industry, demanding a new and diverse portfolio of solutions. As the utility markets evolve, we are creating the products that change the way utilities and consumers manage energy.
The EMEA E-Residential product team
The role exists to design, develop, modify and debug software for embedded devices. Within a team of about 5 SW engineers you will develop and maintain high quality firmware for residential electricity meters and communication products. Our customers are demanding blue chip companies which expect a meter to have a lifetime of at least 15 years without software failure. The latest electricity meter firmware is written with an object oriented design using C++, existing portfolios are written with object oriented C.
- Translate marketing/customer requirements into well designed software solutions with the help of our senior engineers
- Write performance critical code in a resource limited environment
- Ensure that new systems are clearly and appropriately documented, and that documentation of existing systems is kept current
- Ensure quality, customer focussed solutions are achieved and maintained in a timely manner with ongoing testing and test automation.
- Produce code that demonstrates clear thinking, is robust, reliable, and easy to maintain, (keep it simple, no obscure code)
- Actively contribute to the creation of a fast paced, high performing team with strong collaboration and continuous improvement of process, code execution and feature development.
- Maintain a strong awareness of emerging trends in software engineering and software project management, sharing new opportunities to improve with colleagues.
- Undertake other duties that may arise from time to time as directed and to meet the needs of the business
Responsible for the adherence to all Company policies and procedures, relating to Information Security and the use of IT facilities. Compliance with all Information Security Policies and Procedures, the End User IT Security policy and Baseline IT Security policy, is mandatory. It is your responsibility to report any IT or Information Security related incidents without undue delay
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
You need to be able to demonstrate a background in embedded products. Specifically, we will be looking for:
- Expertise in C++ and C programming for embedded products
- Unit testing
- Experience of using source control tools
- Basic knowledge of programming under an RTOS (familiar with different inter process communication methods, working with multiple tasks etc.)
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Evidence of working in projects and contributing to their success
The following practices are expected to be used and extended in the team:
- Test Driven Development
- Pair Programming and Peer review
- Good numerical reasoning skills
- Knowledge of 'OO' concepts
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
- We are very interested in people with useful experience in implementing WWAN and LAN communications.
- Experience developing software for high volume manufacturing.
- Scripting with Python
- Knowledge of metering functionality and standards
- Working knowledge of electronics including basic concepts of power and energy.
- Software to support ICT and FCT (In Circuit & Functional Circuit Testing), and calibration procedures in manufacturing.
- Test automation (Teststand, Labview)
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft's services.