EPC Construction Manager
Oil & Gas
This vacancy has now expired.
Our client is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. They operate in around 100 countries employing over 145,000 people.
The Construction Manager will be responsible for directing strategy, managing and overseeing all EPC construction activities, outperforming the defined objectives, deliver industry leading safety performance within the required UK construction industry standards. The position will be involved in all aspects of construction activities including staff appointment and management, site mobilization, civil works, equipment deliveries, subcontractor selection, site management, M & E installations, commissioning and Client handover. It will be responsible for maintaining / developing industry contacts and a Client / Supplier network to further deliver construction efficiencies.
Working closely with the EPC Project teams to ensure their business construction requirements are delivered:
• Oversee the construction recruitment strategy, establishing the best resources required for all construction activities ensuring a balance of directly employed / external contractors.
• Establish, communicate, implement and the continuous development of the EPC construction strategy.
• Support tender production / order capture process by attending customer meetings when deemed required and providing input into the tender capture strategies around construction activities.
• Provide clear effective leadership with key focus on safety, quality, business integrity and commercial awareness, all achieved in line with ABB process and policies.
• Develop systems and procedures to embed, capture and cascade construction best practice. Ensuring proactive management of construction through projects providing best reporting and record keeping to support commercial requirements of contracts.
• Maintain commercial tension to drive out unnecessary costs and to encourage a challenge of the status quo.
• Support the development of the supply chain to ensure the client is seen as a customer of choice whilst maintaining commercial advantage
• Responsible for the day-to-day site technical queries, any minor design changes, site inspections and test plans, including the preparation of any remedial works lists and their successful remediation.
• Continually improve customer perception of the client’s construction activities by understanding and outperforming their expectations.
• Monitor construction progress against the works programme highlighting areas of concern to help mitigate potential delays or inefficiencies.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
• Degree educated (or equivalent) preferably in an engineering subject.
• Considerable and demonstrable experience in large scale construction activities/ project management.
• Experience in managing budgets and programme delivery.
• Good verbal and written communication skills – communication must be clear and concise.
• Solid interpersonal skills with ability to relate to all stakeholders.
• Be IT literate.
• Be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of modern construction methods. (taking into account the that the power industry has specific requirements)
• NEBOSH certification - Show a clear understanding of Health and Safety requirements specifically related to the power industry
• Ability to use judgment and make decisions in ambiguous or pressure situations.
• Must keep up to date with relevant codes of practice & relevant mandatory regulations.
• Be able to evaluate interpretive reports offering clear and concise guidance for other disciplines to follow.
• Be able
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
• Knowledge of the UK regulatory regime and market as it relates to construction and building works for Substations and UK transmission systems.
• An ability to work and thrive within a multi-national, multi cultural team.
• Experience of differing business sectors.