Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for a number of skilled, creative Mechanical Engineers familiar with automotive internal combustion engine Turbo systems who are capable of delivering solutions of the highest standard on fast paced and technically challenging projects.
As part of the ICE mechanical engineering team you will be responsible for component and system level engineering of the Boosting System and Integration of the Power Unit.
The work will encompass conceptual design tasks that use your knowledge and experience to create original solutions, making calculations from first principals to define component or system specifications, completing detailed design work and use simulation tools where appropriate to show your solutions are robust and fit for purpose. You will deliver models and drawings that comply with company standards and generate appropriate documentation to support the company’s engineering release process. You will be involved in defining any experiments needed to prove performance and reliability; writing test requests and reports to record the results of those experiments. Fault fixing and component or system development is a fundamental part of the role.
The role demands a high degree of contact with other disciplines within the department, simulation, electronics and other engineering functions. You will also have to work closely with the procurement team, build and test operations to deliver complex system solutions efficiently and in a timely manner. You will be responsible for ensuring that the components or systems on which you are working function to requirements at the point of delivery.
Role Specific Accountabilities
• Delivering world class engineering solutions of the highest quality in order to meet project targets
• Turbo system design
• Creation of robust and versatile models to demonstrate concepts
• Producing engineering release documentation, technical procedures, test requests and reports, including product development, validation and legislative verification
• Delivery of detailed designs and drawings in accordance with agreed deadlines
• Delivery of detailed designs and drawings that support right first time principals
• Building working relationships with internal and external departments
• Championing best practice and technically challenging development of processes
• Communication of technical solutions to the customer
• Liaison with internal and external suppliers
• Day today management of their tasks
• Health and safety of his or herself within the work environment, and giving guidance to others
Knowledge, skills and experience required
• 2+ years’ experience in challenging, and relevant engineering environment
• Experience in turbo system design
• Excellent knowledge of mechanical engineering practices and systems
• Experience of engine system component design
• Previous experience of technical prioritisation within a given area of responsibility
• Ability to use CAD software for solid modelling (preferably Catia V5)
• Ability to read and create engineering drawings, good knowledge of geometric tolerancing
• PC literate including MS office products
• Ability to use static / dynamic analysis packages
• Ability to supervise others
• Knowledge of hybrid powertrain components
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
• BEng/BSc qualified (2:1 minimum) in Degree level or higher in an engineering related discipline.
• Be highly self-motivated, proactive and have good organisation skills
• Be creative, innovative and inquisitive
• Have close attention to detail, and be driven to deliver engineering of the highest quality
• Have an ability to work to strict deadlines
• Have excellent problem solving skills
• Have good verbal and written communication skills
• Be a team player, promoting a diverse culture of collaboration
• Demonstrate pragmatism, accountability and credibility
• Be flexible in the approach toward working hours
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
• Have previous experience in a “customer facing” technical environment
• Have previous experience working within automotive road car programmes
• Have German language skills
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft’s services.
For further information or to discuss any opportunities, Contact David Hogan at Fircroft on + 44 1925 281 478