A manufacturing engineer will plan, design, tool selection, NC program, set up, modify, optimise and monitor a manufacturing process. They work to produce high quality goods efficiently in the most cost effective methods and are conscious of the environment and its protection.
Manufacturing engineers are designers, as well as analytical and creative thinkers. They can operate on their own initiative but also contribute as a team member working with engineers from various disciplines. Manufacturing engineers also work with other professionals, in areas such as finance and health and safety.
A manufacturing engineers prime responsibility is to ensure the manufacturing / assembly areas are fully operational on a daily basis and are delivering to the safety, quality, delivery and cost metrics.
Typical work activities
A manufacturing engineer is employed in various industries and in numerous roles, their role may include:
- Designing new systems and processes for the introduction of new products or for the improvement of existing ones.
- Working with other engineers such as mechanical engineers and electrical engineers, to ensure all products and system requirements are taken into account from the initial product conception to finished result.
- Working with other professionals such as accountants to manage budget aspects.
- Examining and tendering for new equipment to ensure the highest quality at the best price.
- Supervising junior engineers and sub-contractors and ensuring effective communication in order to avoid errors.
- Liaising with the research and development department to ensure the company is at the forefront of ground breaking research.
- Keep up to date with current and developing trends at national and international levels in the manufacturing industry.
- Attend training courses and conferences - the engineer should always participate in continuous professional development.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
- Minimum of HNC in mechanical engineering or similar (e.g. Manufacturing or product design).
- Experience of CNC machining in a precision engineering environment.
- Previous experience of R&D type activities. (Rapid change environment).
- High level of CNC programming competency in Fanuc or Heidenhain languages.
- Experience of CAD CAM and verification software.
- Demonstrated capability to work in team or independently with successful, achievable results.
- Strong communicator with authoritative approach to engineering and manufacturing feedback.
- Logical thinker able to resolve complex problems and develop new ideas / concepts for ongoing issues.
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
- Previously worked in similar work environment (motorsport, aircraft, engine development programs).
- Experience of Catia V5; modelling and drafting.
- MSc or BSc in mechanical engineering or similar (e.g. Manufacturing or product design).
- Able to forge relationships with external experts to help develop all internal processes.
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft's services.