Network Installation Design Engineer
makes the freedom of flight possible by designing, manufacturing and supporting the world’s best aircraft. Its people around the globe are united by a passion for aviation, as well as their desire to create better, more efficient ways for airlines and passengers to fly.
1. Scope of position:
The Network Installation Design Engineer is responsible for reviewing the current status and inputs from the customer in conjunction with AF&E Design rules to enable the production of site specific Network Designs covering Active & Passive, LAN & WAN requirements for the implementation to customer sites.
As a Network Installation Design Engineer, you will conduct a site survey and input this information into the Site Specific Design Documentation. You will be responsible for ensuring the Site Specific Design meets current customer requirements and contractual obligations. You will produce a BoM for new active equipment that meets your Site Specific Design criteria and you will assist sub-contractors in producing Passive BoM requirements (including power and cooling). You will be responsible for the writing of configuration files for the new active hardware as well as installing the new equipment, de-commissioning the old equipment and sanitising to CESG standards. It will also be your responsibility to produce an As fitted pack based on the red line drawings submitted for the site and test results from the sub-contractor. In parallel to all of these activities you will work and have meetings with Client and other company staff.
2. Key responsibilities:
As a Network Design Engineer, you will have to:
- Attend Site Survey Meeting
- Conduct site survey of active equipment and associated passive infrastructure
- Complete Site Specific Design documentation
- Check Active BoM meets expectations and matches Site Specific Design requirements
- Produce configurations for network devices in line with customer requirements and rules
- Perform active installation, equipment testing and facilitate handover to remote Network Operations Centre – active installation can include removal of existing hardware where deemed necessary.
- Produce ‘As Fitted’ documents
- Achieve Design & Installation sign off from the customer
- Action rejections and re-work requests, ensuring deliveries remain on target
3. Key relationships:
- Report to Team Leader, taking technical and task leadership as appropriate.
- Follow direction from Principal and Senior Engineers
- Communicate effectively with team members, Consortium staff and customer representatives.
- Report progress on tasks as required to immediate supervisor or project manager.
- Develop a trusting and professional relationship with QA representatives.
4. Decision making authority:
- Make technical decisions within the build tasks, establishing the best solutions for the products in question.
- Act as customer representative by deciding upon the suitability of a solution or system through testing that the solution meets the specification.
5. Problem solving responsibility:
- Be able to isolate and demonstrate failures in the product or system built, identifying likely causes and solutions.
- Be capable of applying general principles and experience to solve complex problems.
- Creation of network rigs in line with specifications.
B. PERSON SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Formal Education and training:
- A Technical qualification (CCNA) backed by several years’ experience designing and delivering network solutions.
- The successful applicant will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to HNC level or equivalent experience
- Hold a current Cisco CCNA or CCNP (preferred)
- Working knowledge of Visio, Access & other Microsoft Office products.
- Detailed familiarity of site preparation and construction including: rack installation, safety practices, etc.
- Knowledge of interior & exterior fibre optic and copper cable wiring, including single-mode and multimode fibre optic cable, shielded and unshielded Category 5e cable, Category 6 and termination and testing of new and legacy systems
- Knowledge of Health & Safety of Electrical Installations
- Currently hold Ministry of Defence Security Clearance to SC level or above
- Hands on recent experience of Cisco 3560, 3750, 6509 & Nexus series (1K, 2K & 7K) switches, Bluecoat Packeteer, McAfee IPS and Riverbed Steelhead products. Supporting certifications a bonus.
3. Other key skills/product knowledge:
- Requirements Management.
- Good Communication.
- System Engineering principles.
- JSP Manuals