JOB TITLE: Senior Planner
BUSINESS UNIT: Planning Policy and Implementation
DIRECTORATE: Strategy and Develop[ment
RESPONSIBLE TO: Planning Policy and Implementation Manager and Principal Planner (Planning Policy)
JOB PURPOSE: To assist the Planning Policy and Implementation Manager in the formulation and review of the planning policy framework for the borough and all other functions undertaken by the Planning Policy Unit.
KEY ACCOUNTABLE AREAS - these will be regularly reviewed through the performance management process
Plan making, consultation, research, implementation, monitoring and review
1. Drafts and makes recommendations for the content of new planning policies for the borough or part of the borough, in accordance with the legislation, national policy and best practice.
2. Drafts and makes recommendations for the content of new planning guidance for the borough or part of the borough, in accordance with the legislation, national policy and the development plan.
3. The identification and assessment of a site's suitability for allocation for development or designation for protection in accordance with national policy, the development plan and relevant best practice.
4. The collection and analysis of data to inform the planning policy function and monitor the effectiveness of policies and guidance.
5. Preparation of technical evidence in accordance with best practice to support the preparation of the local plan or other planning documents. This may involve supporting managers and supervisors in the commissioning and management of external consultants.
6. Present evidence at hearings, public inquiries and EIPs on behalf of the Council on matters relating to the development plan.
7. Assists in the progression of local development documents through the statutory procedures necessary for their progression, adoption and review, including sustainability appraisal.
8. Prepares consultation material, guidance and information material to assist the public in the interpretation and implementation of emerging and existing planning policy.
9. Attends and represents the Planning Policy and Implementation team at consultation events to assist the public and other stakeholders to effectively engage in the plan making process.
10. Prepares development briefs, in conjunction with landowners, developers and their agents, and other departments of the Council and other Local Authorities.
Other planning duties, external meetings and public presentations
11. Prepares policy advice to assist Development Management in the assessment of specific planning applications and attends pre-application meetings to advise on planning policy
12. Represents the Planning Policy and Implementation team at both internal and external meetings as required and may attend member working parties or committees.
13. Carries out presentations on planning issues in the borough to local schools, community groups and visiting parties.
14. Assesses development briefs and mastrplans prepared by developers/consultants, in conjunction with other departments of the council, other local authorities relevant statutory consultees, and relevant service and infrastructure providers.
15. Where relevant to the borough's planning policy and implementation function, assists in the review of draft national policy and guidance, and the plans and policies of other local authorities, service and infrastructure providers, and drafts responses.
16. Deals with general enquiries received by letter, email, web, telephone and in person, about planning policy matters in the borough.
1. To deliver the council's equality and diversity priorities.
2. Any other relevant activities that may reasonably be required.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
Degree or equivalent in town planning with exemption from the final RTPI examinations; or
Degree or equivalent in a social science or a relevant discipline with postgraduate qualification in planning giving exemption from the final RTPI examinations
Demonstrate knowledge and experience in the following areas:
* the statutory procedures associated with the preparation of the Local Plan.
* National planning policy and best practice guidance.
* Policy formulation, consultation and guidance on an area of spatial planning.
* Preparation of evidence, use of survey techniques and analysis of data
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
Full membership of the RTPI
Training in GIS
Knowledge of sustainability appraisal and/or environmental impact assessment.
Experience of presenting information in a visual form for publications and exhibitions.
Experience of the use of Objective for the production of consultation documents and analysis of responses
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft's services.