Product Design Engineer
Product Engineering is looking for a passionate experienced Engineer to join their team as a Product Engineer. As part of the Product Engineering Department you will become the specialist for key components / systems on our Power Unit, and will be therefore be wholly responsible for the associated engineering tasks from initial idea through to the last race of the championship, including problem solving and failure analysis.
The journey encompasses conceptual design, structural / thermal analysis and design release including the creation of documentation to support control of the bill of materials. In addition the Product Engineer is responsible for defining specific tests in order to approve their components / systems for use, and should close out this task through the writing of technical reports to summarise their findings.
In this role, the Product Engineer is empowered to act autonomously, ensuring accountability and ownership for the task in hand to drive a right first time solution taking into account performance, obsolescence, cost & other key programme metrics
• Creation and validation of novel engineering design solutions supported by right first time principals and analysis work to meet demanding performance and cost targets.
• Creation of robust and versatile models to demonstrate concepts; both in solids and surfaces, with engineering drawings to complement design release.
• Technical development of Power Unit components & systems
• Problem solving & failure analysis
• Writing of test requests & technical reports
• Day to day management of their tasks
• Building inter departmental working relationships
• Championing best practices
• Liaison with internal and external suppliers
• Health and safety of his or herself within the work environment.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
• All round knowledge of mechanical engineering practices and systems.
• Ability to engineer solutions from first principles, demonstrating the ability to undertake fundamental calculations to support the design concept
• Demonstrate the ability to engineer solutions considering material selection, manufacturability, heat treatment & other process requirements, surface finish requirements, geometrical tolerancing & control over critical features, etc.
• Broad knowledge of internal combustion engines, their systems & energy recovery systems
• Experienced in the design of highly loaded mechanical components & systems
• Ability to read and create engineering drawings
• Ability to use CAD software (preferably CATIA)
• Ability to use static / dynamic analysis packages
• Knowledge of engineering application in high performance engines
• Familiarity with high voltage systems
BEng / BSc Qualified (2:1 minimum) in Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering or similar discipline
2+ years post graduate experience in a challenging engineering environment
• Creative and innovative
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Flexible& adaptable with excellent time management
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Team player
• Thorough in their approach
• Self motivated
• Demonstrate accountability and credibility
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft’s services.
For further information or to discuss any opportunities, please contact Stephen Robinson at Fircroft on + 1925 281 639