Project Accounting Analyst (Operator exp)
This vacancy has now expired.
Our client is a leading international O&G Operator with a particular focus on the Middle East.
Position description -
Purpose: The Project Accounting Analyst will support the Project Finance team in establishing and implementing a controlled project environment, aimed at achieving business objectives, providing timely, objective, accurate and transparent Management and Financial Information, and promoting effective risk management.
THIS POSITION WILL BE A COMMUTER ROLE 5&2 TO BASRA, IRAQ, WITH HOME BASE IN DUBAI.
The Project Accounting Analyst will also support the (Senior) Project Accountant in providing all relevant accounting, control, cost management and finance challenge and support services.
Position description - Accountabilities
The Project Accounting Analyst is accountable to ensure:
Project Accounting and Financial Controls
• Commitments are accurately reported and proper records are maintained.
• Systems administration work is done effectively and efficiently to allow business transactions to be recorded accurately in SAP. This will involve:
- working with C&P/RtP Focal Point
- standardizing and rationalizing GL codes/cost elements used by projects
- creation/maintenance of SAP cost objects
- monthly upload of accruals and other journal entries
- responsibility for the execution of the cost allocation cycle for both budgets and actuals
• Manual of Authorities accurately reflects requirements and is complied with.
• Provide input to monthly shareholder reporting
• Consolidating monthly project cash forecast as input to the monthly cash call to shareholders
• Monthly reporting and analysis of cash payments against accruals and against cash forecast
• Compliance to finance requirements on the invoicing verification process including:
- Focal point on the minimum invoicing requirements
- GL and cost element accuracy
- Tax compliance
- Allocation of costs between WBS elements (for multi-WBSE invoices)
- Accounting of prepayments and deposits
• Provide finance support to the requisition to reporting process for the client Secondment Agreement and Master Services Agreement.
Planning, Target Setting & Budgeting
• Support the Project Finance team in planning & target setting processes for the process ensuring financial integrity and that estimates are reasonable and in line with other known information.
• Support the Project Finance team in providing accurate, timely and quality consolidated management information on actual performance, budgets, latest estimates and variance analysis. This includes generating SAP reports and preparing excel/powerpoint reports.
• Support (Senior) Project Accountants in the monthly update of the cost estimating tool with actual costs
• Maintain the Project Finance Calendar.
• Sharepoint focal point for Project Finance (only for Sharepoint set-up – 3-6 months after which each team member will manage their own areas).
• Promote the effective & efficient use of SAP Blueprint. SAP Super User.
• Project Accountant delegate.
Position description - Special Challenges
Special Challenges Managing the role within changing and sometimes ambiguous organisation structures as client environment transfers to what is effectively a merger of client business with State Gas Company environment within Iraq.
Significant proportion of time with team in Basrah. Whilst Project team environment will be the closest to a client culture, there will be culture and language challenges in the broader venture
Effective communication and relationship management is required. Individual should promote the development of a strong cost management ethos, earn the respect of the project team and support close integration of information and controls with Project Services and CP.
Courage to challenge respectfully; strong influencing and team working skills to work within a multi-discipline and cultural team
Managing tension interfaces between Project team desire for full project delivery with ensuring each project is delivered on a schedule and at a cost that earns the identified value to the venture
The challenge of the South gas project is significant both in terms of the dynamic environment (cultural, social and Safety/Security) and in terms of the Technical and Project delivery side. As the project is still at an early stage and will evolve, successful candidates would therefore be expected to adapt to the changes as they occur including possible change of roles and accountabilities.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
Experience and Qualifications required
• College/University level education with a degree in Accounting or Finance.
• Minimum of 5 years solid work experience in Finance related position i.e. controllers, projects, joint ventures.
• Finance or Accounting qualification (Chartered Accountant, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) and Upstream Oil and Gas knowledge strongly preferred
• Good communicator and sensitive to opinions of others and other cultures
• Ability to work effectively with diverse, multidiscipline teams from all levels of the organization.
• Need to be flexible and responsive to changing business environment as applicable.
• Strong computer and ERP skills. Proficiency in SAP Blueprint an advantage.
• Prior experience of working in upstream/midstream hydrocarbon projects an advantage.
• Proactive team player, highly motivated with a “Can Do” attitude
Additional comments Ability to speak Arabic is