Senior IT Systems Engineer
makes the freedom of flight possible by designing, manufacturing and supporting the world’s best aircraft. Its people around the globe are united by a passion for aviation, as well as their desire to create better, more efficient ways for airlines and passengers to fly.
A versatile, experienced IT Systems Engineer is required to work in the ground systems department within the Earth Observation, Navigation and Science directorate.
- The successful candidate will join a team responsible for the design, development, deployment and support of the End to End system and deployment of an operational spacecraft control centre.
- The successful candidate will come from a Large Enterprise, Service provider or Financial establishment and have knowledge working of and extensive experience of IT data centre design using the Linux Operating System with a good understanding of VMware, virtualisation, Storage & data networking concepts. A strong background and proven experience in an integration and/or deployment environment working with large scale critical systems. Knowledge of LDAP and DNS would be very useful.
- A strong design background is essential with the ability to perform trade-off analyses and to produce formal design documentation. The ability to rapidly understand and propose evolutions to a complex IT system architecture will be required.
- A strong background in Linux is mandatory; This should include an understanding of linux kernels and remote package management (RPM). A good understanding of SMTP, Network and bespoke system configuration.
- Experience with Linux virtualisation environments, working with thin clients remote access control and system hardening would be an advantage.
- Must have ability to use Microsoft Office products to generate high quality reports and documentation aimed at all levels of technical understanding. A full understanding of Change Control processes, Defect tracking and resolution is required.
- The candidate must be a motivated self-starter that can quickly adjust to changing priorities, support multiple projects at the same time, and meet published deadlines. The candidate will need to be flexible to business demands and demonstrate an overall excellent technical ability coupled with the ability to work independently.
- The role is based in Portsmouth but extensive business travel in Europe is required.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
- Strong IT systems design experience, detailed understanding of VMware, strong background Storage Networking & data Networking.
- Experience of porting applications between different versions of Linux, experience of configuring and installing VMware
- Experience with a large enterprise service provider providing high end systems e.g. datacenter, hosting, finance
- Detailed knowledge of SUSE Linux Enterprise. Server Experience in VMWare ESX, previous experience of virtualised system deployment and configuration, Bespoke Linux Kernel builds, Hardening of Linux servers VMware