Senior Network Design Engineer
Hook, Hampshire, UK
makes the freedom of flight possible by designing, manufacturing and supporting the world’s best aircraft. Its people around the globe are united by a passion for aviation, as well as their desire to create better, more efficient ways for airlines and passengers to fly.
A Senior network Design Engineer is defined as a fully effective team member able to work on their own to a defined scope of work lasting up to six months. The role is responsible for championing the professional approach to engineering practices within the allocated projects.
To act as a leading contact for design activities within A & E in a particular area of expertise.
• Be an effective and productive member of the team.
• Using appropriate tools and techniques, design and develop solutions to client’s standards and to meet the design requirements of the product.
• To provide assurance to both the customer and the business that adequate steps have been taken to ensure that the solution provided has been designed and produced correctly following good engineering practices.
• Produce design specifications and reports for nominated products.
• Produce hardware and software solutions for integration onto the test system where required.
• Document these solutions to the required standards, and achieve QA acceptance of the design method and documentation thereof.
• Be responsible for own career development.
• Be responsible for own time keeping with regard to task milestones.
• Maintain a record of all worked carried out, either in formal drawings and specifications or in engineering log books.
Decision making authority:
• Make technical design decisions within context of known practises, established precedents and acquired technical expertise in-line with project deliverables.
• Act as customer representative by deciding upon the suitability of a solution or system through testing that the solution meets the specification.
Problem solving responsibility:
• Be able to isolate and demonstrate failures in the product or system built, identifying likely causes and solutions
• Be capable of applying general principles and experience to solve complex problems.
• Creation of network rigs in line with specifications
Formal Education and training:
• Network Design qualification – preferably to degree level or equivalent Engineering experience.
• Cisco accreditation to, or approaching, (CCNA/CCNP) backed by several years of experience producing network solutions.
• Several years of experience in a similar role within the industry
• Familiar with test and integration methods for software, hardware and network systems, and strong in build development methods for at least one of the following:
• Competent in all skills as shown: CISCO (CCNA or CCNP), SNMP, FTP, networking theory.
• DOORS, Starteam (configuration management tool)
• Knowledge of Maritime platforms and installations
Other key skills/product knowledge:
• Requirements management
• Good communication
• System Engineering