Senior Structural Designer
Oil & Gas
12 month rolling contract
• Represent Company with Clients, Suppliers / Vendors and Certifying Authorities in a professional manner.
• Identification of design scope of work required to undertake a project/job. Estimation of deliverables time required to execute the scope of work.
• Early identification to the Lead Designer of areas of concern during the course of any project or study with necessary corrective action identified.
• Ensure operational and maintenance issues are addressed in the design. Seeking input from operations and maintenance personnel.
• Surveys, both onshore and offshore, to determine information to allow execution of workscopes.
• Checking of department design deliverables.
• Responsible for ensuring that all supervised personnel are aware of continuous improvement issues and new technology.
• Remain up to date and knowledgeable with technical developments, client, national and international standards and legislative requirements related to the position.
• During surveys/site visits communication with Operations and Maintenance personnel to ensure all requirements are fulfilled and determine any opportunities where Client can provide engineering solutions to existing problems or for improving existing methods.
• Production of cost effective design solutions that are fit for purpose, safe and add value to both Company and the Client and motivation of discipline personnel to do similarly.
• Awareness and understanding of the business drivers within the Company / Client relationship and how these can be influenced by innovative designs and minimum cost solutions.
• Performance of engineering tasks and activities, in accordance with Client QA, HS & E Policies.
• Ensuring compliance with applicable Industry Codes and Standards, HSE Alerts, Statutory Instruments, Client Specifications and Legislative Requirements and establishing order of precedence on a project-by-project basis.
• Demonstration of safe approach in design and working practises.
• Encouragement of attention to safety.
• Responsible for ensuring professional development is maintained and identified competency requirements are undertaken in a timely manner.
• Adherence to the Company Integrated Management System.
• Compliance with quality assurance, health and safety and environmental policies.
• Demonstrate and promote Client's QHSE principles.
• Ensure unsafe activities are challenged.
• Adherence to the requirements of the best practice standards recommendations and processes in the undertaking of duties, in particular, risk assessment and control, reliability and failure prevention necessary to ensure the safe design, equipment and systems.
• Demonstrate and promote Client's values
• Raise issues of quality, health, safety and environmental and input to continuous quality improvement element
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
• Team working
• Customer and quality focused
• Professional conduct
• Excellent communication, influencing and inter-personal skills
• Ability to use own initiative
• Good organisational skills
• Commercial awareness
• Responsive to business and client needs
• Safety aware
• HNC in relevant engineering discipline
• Previous demonstrable experience in detailed design
• Knowledge and understanding of relevant oil and gas industry codes and standards
• Understanding of all engineering disciplines
• Highly competent in the use of Autodesk design products
Desirable Skills / Qualifications:
• HND in relevant engineering discipline
• Experience in design checking