Oil & Gas
Stockton on Tees
This vacancy has now expired.
Our client provides premier quality Operations, Management and Maintenance solutions. Developed in the 1990s, our client is a world class OM&M service provider. Offering exciting and challenging positions with a strong focus on teamwork. Our client believes that people are a key asset to the business and provide excellent training and support to workers.
This job description details the requirements for the role of Safety, Health & Environmental Manager, reporting directly to the Director of Safety & Risk Management. The role’s primary purpose is to ensure that the Company has in place best practice, business focussed safety strategy & culture with all employees aware of their SHE responsibilities & actively working to ensure that SHE is at the forefront of everything they and therefore their business does.
PRIMARY ROLE OBJECTIVES
In line with business & legislative requirements provide leadership, direction & management of the Company SHE Function and support and advice to Company leadership and site management to ensure overall SHE philosophy, strategy & action plans are implemented effectively and successfully.
• Personally demonstrate and champion a positive SHE culture in all interactions with employees, customers, contractors & visitors to ensure that everyone is aware of their personal responsibilities to maintain the safety & wellbeing of themselves, their colleagues, the environment around them and thus the business.
• In conjunction with the Director of Safety and Risk Management develop, lead and deliver the SHE philosophy including the operational strategy and overall performance measures.
• To act as leader and manager of the SHE Department and other assigned personnel taking overall responsibility for their supervision, development, welfare and overall effectiveness.
• In conjunction with the Director of Safety and Risk Management establish and implement the short and longer term SHE goals, objectives, policies and procedures. Specifically ensuring their effective communication, understanding by all relevant employees, the monitoring and evaluation of their effectiveness and as required any change or improvement management.
• To be recognised as the focal point within the business of professional SHE expertise on areas including all legislative standards and requirements, site security, incident control procedures and standards, crisis management, fire safety, noise and other areas of business significance.
• To ensure that any changes in the above areas are reviewed, with practical guidance provided and communicated appropriately.
• To champion continuous SHE improvement by undertaking agreed audits, surveys and other monitoring processes to the required standards and timeframes of safety initiatives and programmes, accidents, incidents and reports. To monitor the effectiveness of these standards and reviewing and putting in place any action points and/or improvements.
• To devise, implement and present required SHE training and learning events for all employees and as required, contractors.
• To provide appropriate guidance and support for all major SHE incidents within the business. To take overall responsibility and provide leadership with regards to internal and external investigations, processes, procedural actions and communications.
• To act as the focal point for all recognised external authorities with reference to SHE matters.
• As required, to undertake assigned projects and investigations, providing realistic recommendations in line with legislative and business requirements.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
Degree Qualified (or equivalent) in either a science or engineering related discipline.
Professional safety-related qualifications (e.g. NEBOSH).
Will come from an industrial background and have relevant professional experience in a high hazard environment or industry.
Detailed working knowledge and understanding of UK quality, environmental, health and safety legislative and regulatory requirements.
Experience of interacting with the competent Authorities.
Ability to manage multi-site arrangements across UK and Europe with diverse client requirements, resources and attitudes.
Relevant experience at an appropriate senior management level.
Effective knowledge of Process Safety and its implementation at operating sites.
Management of Self & Others:
Proven track record of leading and developing a safety team, and safety culture, in a high hazard/COMAH industry environment.
Strong supervisory, coaching and mentoring of remote teams / individuals. Including settin