Specialist Enginner - Brakes - 31030
Our Client is a world leading Automotive OEM which is responsible for some of the most iconic 4x4's & Sports Cars produced. Due to the huge demand for current models and substantial investment in future projects there is a requirement for more resources across the business in engineering & manufacturing on a contract basis.
Ensures that actions are in place to address lessons learned from previous programmes. Ensures effective communication exists across all functions via full team participation. Lead effective Module meetings, building effective relationships with team members. Coordinate and influence the cross-functional team to deliver to agreed targets, often without direct responsibility for the team members. Build, maintain and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Be the primary interface to the Chassis Programme Leader for nominated programmes. Manage team members to achieve agreed deliverables and gateway requirements, tracking and reporting on progress. Report programme status / plans at Brakes management reviews and Directors reviews. Collate project health status and other data to input into reports and metrics for the programme. Produce reports for delivery to the Chassis Programme Leader (PL). Capture issues and track progress, reporting these to the Architecture Module Leader. Lead issue resolution; guide the team. Respond to ad hoc requests for reports and information from the PL Track and report performance against time, quality and cost targets, flagging risks to these early. Support the Architecture Module Leader in liaising with other functions (e.g., Manufacturing Engineering and purchasing) to ensure timely input from them
The role of Brakes Design Module Project Engineer reports to the Brakes Design Architecture Module Leader and is responsible for the above activities for Brakes Design on one or more allocated vehicle programmes. This role will give the successful applicant a wide ranging exposure within the client to senior management and offers good career development opportunities.
Specifically the candidate will:
- Take inputs from Programme Direction document, programme requirements & plans.
- Manage agreement of system specifications, ensuring compatibility with & leveraging support from the Brakes Design teams.
- Manage cost estimate generation to support agreed specifications, creating and submitting required documentation on component piece costs, vendor tooling and Design and Development costs.
- Cross check with costs from programme approval documents throughout the programme.
- Create and own initial Bill of Material for Brakes system (BOM) and maintain during programme delivery.
3 KEY SKILLS
- Self-motivated and possessing strong leadership, communication, presentation, negotiation, IT and technical project management skills to enable the candidate to lead the module team members in the delivery of programme technical cost and timing targets.
- A deep understanding of the engineering of complex mechanical, hydraulic and electrical automotive systems with a minimum of 3 years involved in the engineering of ground vehicle braking systems
- Ability to learn and apply industry standard quality analysis, problem solving and reliability tools, Specifically Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Six Sigma and 8D problem solving tools .
Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering or a related discipline.
Experience of presenting technical status and communicating confidently at all levels within the business and the supply base.
Good PC skills with MS Office suite (Excel and power Point are essential) and an ability to quickly learn client bespoke IT systems which are used to manage and control the Module Team environment.
Experience working with an automotive OEM or large tier 1 supplier in a brakes development role
Planning and delivery of complex multi-disciplinary projects in an automotive mechanical or electronics environment using a Gateway based process.
UK Full Cat B driving licence (or equivalent)
Experience of Automotive new model activities concept to launch environment preferably in the role of project leader or commodity/system leader or similar.
Experience of working to a formal product development management system and using on - line systems for the management of component and system validation and results reporting.
Successful delivery of Brakes engineering module for an automotive OEM
Considerable experience in an automotive engineering or development environment
Masters in Engineering or Business
Additional Information :
The role will be Gaydon based, with occasional travel.